Atlanta Cancer Care
Atlanta, GA 30342
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Responsible for providing psychosocial services to patients and families in an outpatient medical oncology setting.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Director of Psychosocial Support Services.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
- Assess distress and psychosocial needs, provide crisis intervention and counseling, patient-navigation, advocacy, legal and resource referrals, group work, education and case management services for adult patients and their families/caregivers throughout all phases of the cancer continuum.
- Assist patients with problem solving financial, insurance and access to care issues.
- Provide education and consultation to other disciplines and staff regarding bio-psychosocial, environmental, mental, spiritual and cultural factors that affect oncology care.
- Interprofessional collaboration in the areas of psychosocial clinical services, patient- and family-centered care and education.
- Collaboration with leadership, professional colleagues and other professional disciplines, as needed, in the planning and provision of timely and efficient clinical services to cancer patients and their families.
- Participate in training social work interns, facilitate psycho-educational or support groups and community educational programs as needed.
- Serves as a resource to other staff on community resources and in area of specialty.
The job holder must demonstrate current competencies for job position.
EDUCATION: Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
EXPERIENCE: 3 to 5 years post-masters experience in social work with at least 2 of those years in a medical setting (oncology experience is preferred).
REQUIREMENTS: Currently hold licensure as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Georgia. Board certification in oncology social work (OSW-C) is not mandatory, but preferred. Possess a valid driver’s license, have reliable transportation and be willing to travel between clinic locations as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledgeable about the psychosocial impact of oncologic and hematologic diseases and their treatments on individuals, families and caregivers as it relates to age, stage of development, social, economic, cultural and spiritual factors, as well as appropriate interventions and resources to help address identified needs.
- Knowledge of clinical assessment using the DSM-V and appropriate screening tools.
- Knowledgeable about evidence-based and evidenced-informed interventions designed to address current and/or future problems as the patient’s medical and psychosocial needs evolve.
- Skill in complex case management.
- Ability to uphold professional standards by adhering to the National Association of Social Workers’ code of ethics, Association of Oncology Social Work standards of care for oncology social workers and The Georgia Composite Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists laws, policies and rules.
- Skill in assisting the patient and family with advance care planning and advance directives.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in interprofessional practice and education.
- Outstanding analytical, organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- General computer skills.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Office and exam room settings.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Combination of sitting, standing and walking. Occasional stress in balancing multiple demands and in dealing with patients/families experiencing tension.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Job Type: Full-time
- Medical social work: 2 years (Preferred)
- Post-Masters Social Work: 3 years (Required)
- Master of Social Work (Required)
- Atlanta/Perimeter, GA (Required)
- LCSW (Required)
- Medical/dental/vision benefits offered